Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Blog Assignment 1

     My name is Kenneth Nelson and I am originally from Ft. Washington, Md. I was raised there and moved to Alabama in 2004. I have an amazing wife that has graduated from South Alabama with a masters degree in education. We have been married for five years and have an awesome little girl. Before my family was complete, I played baseball nearly my entire life. Starting at four years old and retiring at twenty eight. I played professional baseball for five different organizations, over ten years, which include the Atlanta Braves, Cincinnati Reds, San Diego Padres, Philadelphia Phillies and Toronto Blue Jays.
     Baseball was hard to give up since I was fully capable of playing more. I made a choice to move on with starting my family. School has been a major focus since retirement and I have chosen education because I believe God has given me a talent to use as a tool to reach out to young learners. I would like to coach at the High School level  in the Mobile area. To combine education with baseball would be great to add to my already wonderful family.
     Sports have dominated my life so, I really wish I had a hobby to tell you about. I grew up a Washington Redskins fan and attended most of the home games until I reached High School. My family in Maryland means so much to me. My father and mother still live there with seventeen cats and four dogs. I guess after the kids left they needed some company. I am a stay at home dad that also works at night and on the weekends. Your baby can read! is awesome if you have young children! I also have two dogs of my own that I throw the ball with on a regular basis.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Kenneth!

    Welcome to EDM310! :)

    All I have to say is WOW! You've definitely had a lot of life experience to be so young. That's amazing you are a retired professional baseball player! I can imagine how difficult it was to give something up that you love so much, but I'm very glad you decided to enter the field of education!

    You're blog looks great! Just be sure to add pictures, along with title and alt modifiers for all of your upcoming blog posts.

    I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts and hopefully getting to know you in the lab!

    - Allie

    P.S. So "Your Baby Can Read!" really works?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kenny, I'm very happy that the coaching "bug" is in your blood...you'll probably have a great wealth of knowledge to pass on to young folks, and I'm sure you'll do great! I'm sorry the MLB didn't work out for ya...I have one of the baseballs you signed back in 2000 after you were drafted by the Braves. I used to work with your Mom. Please let her know that Paul Plemmons says hi and I'm on Facebook! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bubba its been a long time glad to see your doing well. Definitely the best ball player I had ever played with. Broke 2 of my catchers mitts in one season !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bubba its been a long time glad to see your doing well. Definitely the best ball player I had ever played with. Broke 2 of my catchers mitts in one season !

    ReplyDelete