Friday, February 4, 2011

Blog Assignment #3

A Vision of Students Today


This clip gives a perspective that I normally would not look at. My class experience has been lain out in this clip. Especially since I pay hundreds of dollars for books that I never open and then resell them at twenty percent of cost one semester later. The time our instructors spend trying to relate something to us could easily be chopped in half by using some sort of technology to get it through. I spend a lot more time using my computer than I do watching television. The use of computers, email, cell phones and other gadgets could be used to gain a better focus in class time. Children as well as adults relate things much faster and easier when technology is integrated.

The fun factor always creates a better learning environment. I've read more books and magazines online than I have ever read in my life. The facts are simply written in this clip, to spend more time with technology integration and the will to learn becomes much greater. A student that is normally quiet in class because of nerves may be able to ask more questions through typing. It opens many new avenues we did not know we could cross. If we do not know the answer in class, we generally stay quiet but if we are on an open network we can easily express our thoughts and gain knowledge faster than ever before.

It's Not About the Technology
Link To Kelly Hines Blog

Things I have read, via the internet, continue to amaze me. Yes, we have come to the conclusion that technology is an important venue for the 21st century student. This blog by Ms. Hines say's something a little different. She took time to express that we need to be better teachers as well as use the expensive tools that are given to us. There are many ways in which we can change the focus of the student in order to get them to learn but if we are not learning new ways to do that, then our students may never learn. Just because we "teach" does not mean we cannot learn as well.
Without learning, nothing has truly been taught. First, we must update and upgrade our techniques in the classroom and then we can use our technology savvy brains to integrate lessons that actually have meaning for the student. All of this sounds good, but the day will come when we get home from a rough day at school and say "I've taught them the same thing over and over again and they just aren't getting it". That is the time we remind ourselves of this post and change the way we teach and learn.

Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
Fischbowl Blog

Mr. Fisch has a major and relevant concern. His environment is loaded with educators that do not know or care to use technology as a means of teaching. It becomes even more disturbing when he say's that the teachers are confident in the fact that they are not technologically illiterate. For this, I will force myself into technology and continue to challenge myself so that no one ever writes a blog like this about me. I feel his frustration and his quotes are very accurate about the 21st century. I will put them in my own words and you can take them any way you wish. --Computers have been around for about 30 years and if you do not have any computer sense then you should not be qualified to be an educator. It used to be acceptable not to be literate but as time went on, you had to have the ability to read in order to get a job. As time goes by in the 21st century, we need to be able use a computer in order to get a job. Not knowing how to use a computer in the 21st century is like being illiterate in the early 20th century--.

Being able to use a computer should be a personality trait by now, especially for teachers. It is the way in which the world communicates and through communication is how we incorporate our disciplines. Technology isn't everything but it is everywhere around us and if we can't use it then we lose our communication skills. If everyone is using these devices, then we need to use them as well in order to be able to teach from them. Technology is not an addiction but a way in which we can incorporate ideas in the classroom.

Social Media Count

Ah! Once again, I love numbers. Maybe I should be in Math instead of History. I cannot seem to put my finger on these numbers though. They keep getting bigger and bigger. People are really focused on getting accounts set up and following friends to chat it up. Communication is going on all over the world and we need to be proactive in the e-community. This is a bit off of the subject of numbers but I watched some old videos on our blog from New Zealand. The children interviewed Dr. Strange and he later responded to their questions. Dr. Strange did not get back to them right away because he said he was busy teaching his college students how to do the same thing they were doing: blogging, podcasts and videos etc. Okay, maybe you don't feel as far behind as I do but there are elementary students in New Zealand learning the same thing I am learning. Or maybe, they are just ahead of the game or is it a combination of both. Anyhow, back to subject, the numbers speak for themselves and I do not have anything else to say. Thanks again for letting me waste your time with this one. I'll just leave the address here at the bottom so you can watch Kaia and Room 10 for yourself.
Kaia and Room 10
Are you technology literate

2 comments:

  1. "I've read more books and magazines online than I have ever read in my life." Logically impossible. I think you mean than you have read in printed form.

    "...the day will come when we get home from a rough day at school and say "I've taught them the same thing over and over again and they just aren't getting it". That is the time we remind ourselves of this post and change the way we teach and learn." Ah Yes!

    "...there are elementary students in New Zealand learning the same thing I am learning." Correct. So what is a college education?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read Kenny's blogs, and I feel he made some good points on the video It's not About the Technology, it is an on going learning process. We as teachers need to be taught as well, but I still say keep the pen and paper in the class room. Teachers do need to stay updated with the changes, like said Kenny said in order to teach we need to be taught, that is to say learning is endless, so let's incorporate learning and technology to become better teachers and students in the class room.

    ReplyDelete