Sunday, March 6, 2011

Blog Assignment #7

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture
Randy Pausch, Educator and Family Man

Randy is an amazing person and role model. His life took an abrupt turn for the worst when he was diagnosed with cancer. He did not allow his ailment to deter him from anything that he wanted to accomplish. As you can see from his lecture he is still in great shape and also a great speaker. Randy's childhood dreams were his main focus since he really never strayed from them. Although he never became an NFL player, it still taught him many lessons that he continued to use.

He certainly enjoys helping others and helps them to achieve their dreams regardless of their situation. Randy is able to relate his life to teaching others how to achieve their goals in life. His testimony alone has given me motivation to continue seeking my dreams. He teaches children and adults how to use computer programs and create virtual reality worlds as a way to show them anything is possible.

I particularly enjoyed and learned from his "head fake" maneuver where you give something fun to do although the project may be very difficult. What better way to teach something than assign something fun that can be very difficult. The rewards for something like this, on a regular basis, can be endless. If you do not watch his lectures, take it from me that this guy is a genius.

There are so many quotes that can be taken from Mr. Randy that you should just watch it. Having fun while achieving your childhood dreams and helping others do so are just a few of the marvelous things that he does. We should allow the child within us to drive us no matter where we stand in our life. There will always be brick walls in our path to our goals and they are there for a reason; to learn from the experience and figure out a way to apply it to our next try.

All 76 minutes of this video are worth it to watch. One thing that stands out the most for me, is to work hard. As a child, I was always taught to work hard and I would always achieve my goals. Nothing comes without a price and I always appreciate the many times my father had to kick me in my rear to get me to work harder. It will pay off, he always said! Hearing it again from Randy has pushed a button for me and it should for you as well. If you only watch 10 minutes of his final lecture it could change the way you view your life.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kenneth! I totally agree about the "head fake!" I loved that part and thought it will be a great technique to take into the classroom and use with students. I tend to change difficult things into "fun" things to make my life more interesting (lol) so I don't think I'll have a problem using the head fake. I thoroughly enjoyed the numerous quotes Randy posed also and took them for all they're worth! I'm glad to hear that your rear kicking was worth it and turned out good in the end ; )
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Mr Pausch really is an inspiration isn't he. Despite how diverse the student make-up of EDM310 is, everyone seems to agree that he is a genius with a lot to offer.

    ReplyDelete